Grab an old tank top and a stretchy elastic cord string to create this Reformation inspired DIY spaghetti strap high neck tank top. Not only is this tank top a trendy and chic style, but it also gives you a wardrobe essential to wear with boyfriend jeans so that you don’t look outdated.
In this tutorial, you will continue to sew knit material. So if you feel intimidated by the fabrication, these easy ways to transform a tank top will help you master the basic sewing skills by learning how to make ruffles and button plackets.
You don’t always have to buy new clothing to be on trend with current fashion. If you are able to upcycle clothes, then you can you transform old clothes into new clothes that are stylish and fashion forward.
You may also enjoy the t-shirt upcycle ideas as well. Try for yourself and let’s make stylish wardrobe essentials from old clothes!
You will love this spaghetti strap high neck tank top because…
- Takes only 5 minutes to sew.
- No need to use a loop turner. All you need is stretchy elastic cord for shoulder straps.
- The best part is that you can use any type of tank top to accomplish this look.
- Perfect beginner level project to learn how to sew knits.
- No sewing pattern required!
Whether you are looking for a casual piece or a going out knit tank top to pair with your favorite jeans, let this spaghetti strap high neck tank top be the solution for you!
How to make DIY Spaghetti Strap High Neck Tank Top?
This quick sewing fixes will transform your tank top into up-to-date fashionable items that you can’t resist to wear them everyday. Once you have finalized the design, sizing becomes the next priority.
It’s important to take body measurements for clothing so that the final garment fits you perfectly. If you need help, follow the guide for a clear description of how to measure your body.
In order to refashion your old tank top, you actually don’t need lots of materials. Here are the basic sewing tools you need to get started with.
DIY Spaghetti Strap High Neck Tank Top Materials:
- Tank Top
- Round Cord Elastic
- Fabric Chalk
Fold the tank top in half lengthwise and then use your favorite camisole in half and lay it on top to trace the armhole with fabric chalk.
Only cut the line on the front of the top because the back of the top will have a straight line just underneath the armhole.
1/4” topstitch to hem around the yoke, neckline and armhole. Use two pieces of 12” elastic round cord to finish the shoulder straps for this DIY spaghetti strap high neck tank top.
Below are detailed instructions along with step-by-step photos for you to easily follow along!
DIY Spaghetti Strap High Neck Tank Top Sewing Tips
There are a few additional tips and tricks for making this Reformation inspired spaghetti strap high neck tank top. Read through the following suggestions for basic sewing tips that will improve your skills and help guide you through completing the project.
Ribbed knit tank top is a perfect material for this specific refashion project. Because it is skin tight style, I would recommend staying away from rayon spandex with a smooth surface.
Furthermore, the elastic cords only comes in white or black color. So unless you plan on dying the cords, go with black or white color tank top to easily match.
- Machine Setting: Adjust the tension of the sewing machine when sewing the neckline and under armhole. Set the range between 4-5 for light to medium weight ribbed knits.
- Sewing Needle: When sewing knit fabric, use the right needle so that you don’t ruin the knit fabric. Make sure to select a ballpoint or stretch needle for best results.
- Thread: No matter what material content you select for the tank top, always choose polyester thread when working with knit fabrics.
- Walking Foot: In order to avoid puckering or wavy seams, use a walking foot for sewing this knit top.
- Iron: Press with an iron in between sewing the seams. The steam actually helps the fabric return to its original state. Sometimes it helps to prevent puckering or wavering.
The elastic cord pairs very well with the old tank top transformation. It’s the perfect combination to upgrade the look. These simple and easy sewing tips will help you turn the basic top into a re-wearable style so that you no longer throw away old clothes.
- Tank Top
- Elastic Round Cord
- Sewing Machine
- Fabric Chalk
- Straight Pins
- For this DIY spaghetti straw high neck tank top tutorial, start by folding the top in half lengthwise.
- Fold your favorite camisole in half and lay it on top.
Trace the spaghetti straps, neckline and armhole with fabric chalk.
- To make the chest piece of the high neck tank top, only cut along the line on the front of the top.
- To make the back piece of the high neck tank top, draw a straight line across the back of the top just underneath the armhole.
Only cut along the line on the back of the top.
This results in a high neck tank top with a mid cut back piece.
- To finish the neckline, 1/4” topstitch to hem around the yoke, neckline and armhole.
- To make the spaghetti straps, cut two pieces of 12” elastic round cord.
- To finish the spaghetti strap, attach one end of each strap to the top of the high neck.
Secure the opposite end of the elastic cord to the back of the top to complete this diy spaghetti strap high neck tank top.